One of Kenya’s most spectacular geological features is the Great Rift Valley which divides the country, while its biodiversity is equally striking. Endless savannah plains and parched deserts are punctuated by snow-capped mountains, cool highlands and equatorial forests. The scenic coastline has all the beauty of a tropical paradise island, with the added appeal of the fascinating Swahili culture. Annually, the country plays host to the remarkable wildebeest migration in the Masaai Mara, the planet’s greatest single movement of herd animals.
- Giraffes will be eating out of your hand! True story at Nairobi’s most iconic hotel – Giraffe Manor.
- Get a bird’s eye view of the Masaai Mara on a hot air balloon trip.
- Witness the greatest wildlife spectacle on earth, the Great Migration that takes place every year when about 2 million wildebeest, zebra and antelope run the gauntlet of predators as they migrate around the Serengeti-Mara ecosystem in search of fresh grazing.
- Explore deeper reaches and spectacular regions of Kenya on an exhilarating helicopter tour.
- Glimpse traditional Masaai life on a cultural tour of a traditional Masaai village “manyatta” in the Mara.
- Re-capture your “Out of Africa” moment with a romantic picnic for two on the very same crest that featured on the movie’s poster.
- Cycle or ride horses with Mount Kenya as your backdrop.
- Spend time at Kenya’s first and most successful Rhino Conservancy in the Laikipia region.
- Spend time with the family at one of Kenya’s most beautiful private safari houses nestled in the Borana Lewa Conservancy where all profits are channelled to conservation and community projects.
Best Time to Travel
- July – November: Kenya’s “cool” season sets in, with crisp days and cold evenings, especially at higher altitude locations. Wildebeest, migrating from the Serengeti in the South, start arriving in the Maasai Mara from July until November when both wildebeest and tourists are at their peak
- “Secret Season” January – March: Between the short rains in November and the long rains in April/May, it is the warmest time of the year with beautiful days. This was traditionally the high season before the ‘migration fixation’ and now offers great value and wonderful weather.